CheapFairy Magic Words“Can you give me discount”? and you will succeed 90% of the times!!!
Negotiation requires preparation and planning. Here are a few tips that can help your negotiations:
- Prepare a script: Figure out what you want to say ahead of time. Know your main points, what you want, and what you are willing to accept.
- Be polite: Remain calm and speak politely and respectfully.
- Ask for someone who can help you: If the person you are talking to doesn’t have the ability to help, ask for a recommendation.
- Employ silence: Don’t accept a counter-offer immediately. Pause for 30 seconds or so. You might find that the other party improves the counter-offer due to worries you won’t accept.
- Make good on your threat to leave: Whether you are trying to get your credit card fees waived, or reduce your Internet bill, you need to be prepared to make good on your threat to cancel. Don’t make that threat unless you are prepared to deliver.
In truth, almost any bill is negotiable. It never hurts to ask; the worst thing that can happen is that you’re told, “no.” So now that you know how to negotiate those bills, give it a try (that is, if you can’t pay the whole thing).